Research Associate Quantitative Genetics
Oude Campsweg 35C, 2678 NN De Lier, Netherlands
Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of cut flowers, bulbs, tropical plants, pot plants, bedding plants and perennials. For our Research department in De Lier we are looking for a Research Associate Quantitative Genetics.
Our organization grows and flourishes. This results in a fast-changing and, therefore, challenging environment.
As a Research Associate Quantitative Genetics you will strengthen our Trait Genetics group which is part of the research department. With your background in statistics and genetics, you will contribute to the design of algorithms and pipelines to enable predictive breeding. You will apply these and offer support to researchers for further marker development, and to breeding with advice on how to optimize their breeding schemes in line with their breeding goals and technology-readiness. You will also work on automating analyses to support breeding and collaborate on building web-apps for breeding to support their breeding decisions. Collaboration is an important feature of the job, and you will work closely with scientists and breeders. You are based in our Breeding Technology Center in de Lier and you will report to the Technology Lead Trait Genetics in De Lier.
Your tasks and responsibilities
- Design, improve and maintain algorithms and pipelines in data visualization, quantitative genetics, germplasm management, genomic prediction and marker-assisted breeding as well as contribute to the development of decision-support tools for breeding and research.
- Initiate, manage and execute projects and significant workpackages focused on Quantitative Genetics.
- Perform scouting activities for novel tools and technologies.
- Curate and contribute to integration of genomic and phenotypic datasets.
- Develop and implement quantitative genetic models to support breeding programs in a wide range of crops.
- Support breeding with advice on breeding management and optimal breeding decisions.
- Lead projects to implement novel tools and concepts in breeding programs.
- Translate findings to optimal application of tools and information.
- You will also bring quantitative genetics and statistical expertise to the team.
- You are expected to collaborate closely with other research teams (mainly Computational Biology, Plant Physiology, Trait Discovery, and Phytopathology) and manage relationships with stakeholders such as Technology Application and Breeding.
- MSc with at least 2 years of relevant work experience or a PhD in a relevant field in biology (for example animal or plant breeding, plant science, genetics, bioinformatics or similar).
- Proven track record in experimental design and in the analysis of (field) trial data, quantitative genetics (linkage mapping, GWAS, heritability and breeding value estimation, genomic prediction, random regression) and exploration of genomic datasets.
- Excellent programming and visualisation skills in R are a must and ideally you also show willingness to become acquainted with DevOps.
- Affinity with plant biology and plant breeding is preferred but not essential.
- Ability to translate aligned project goals and activities to daily tasks independently
- Enthusiasm and aptitude to work in cross-functional teams.
- Inquisitive, innovative and critical mind-set and a creative and pro-active attitude.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills which are tailored to the target audience.
- Excellent command of English and willingness to learn Dutch.
Dümmen Orange has great global ambitions. Innovation, technology and quality are high priorities. This results in a challenging working environment in which you can develop yourself. Dümmen Orange offers its employees plenty of room for personal growth and development. We have an informal and easy accessible working environment in which cooperation is very important.
Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of flowers and plants. Its annual turnover is about 390 million euro. The company employs over 7.500 employees worldwide. In addition to a large marketing and sales network, Dümmen Orange has a diversified network of specialized production sites. The key to Dümmen Orange’s success is a broad and deep product range, supported by a global supply chain. The company embraces its social responsibilities and invests in the health, safety and personal development of its staff.
Click on the button below to apply for this job. If you have questions about the job, you can contact Camillo Berenos (Technology Lead Trait Genetics), via +31 174 530 100.
Acquisition with reference to this advertisement will not be appreciated.