800 Ecke Ranch Road, Encinitas, CA, USA
Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of cut flowers, bulbs, tropical plants, pot plants, bedding plants and perennials. For our breeding department in Encinitas, CA, we are looking for a Breeding Technician.
Our organization grows and flourishes. This results in a fast-changing and, therefore, challenging environment.
Your tasks and responsibilities
• Responsible for maintaining proper storage, handling and inventory of chemicals, supplies specific to breeding activities.
• Responsible for proper maintenance of equipment used in breeding.
• Propagate and properly maintain plant stock and inventories (breeding gene pool)
• Perform routine breeding activities such as pollination, pollen viability tests, root tip preparation and chromosome counting, ploidy enhancement, mutagenesis evaluations, sampling for virus testing.
• Perform data collection and entry into breeding database and Excel spreadsheets.
• Propagate and properly maintain plants in the Greenhouses.
• Conduct activities needed for appropriate tissue culture preparation, and appropriately carry out processes and procedures for successful tissue culture activities.
• Maintains and collects as appropriate data and records to provide for adequate records and process documentation.
• Will collect and summarize data used in the greenhouse and lab settings appropriate to the research, processes and functions of the department.
• Collects and summarizes data using standard research and records maintenance practices.
• Keep work-site in a neat and orderly manner.
• Generates detailed reports using a computer and standard software programs in support of Product Development and Breeding programs.
• Prepare solutions and tissue culture media.
• Maintains inventory of laboratory chemicals in appropriate order and quantities for use on varied projects.
• Ability to successfully assist with lab work and greenhouse activities to vegetative propagate crop plants as well as use knowledge of genetics and plant breeding for other technical greenhouse and lab processes.
• Ability to coordinate and reach final recommendations and objectives using problem resolution techniques and decision analysis such as consensus with technical staff for projects design and technology.
• Identify issues, develop solutions, and make recommendations for corrective action or modifications of project objectives and millstones.
• Ability to identify limitations and request assistance as necessary to perform the job.
• Demonstrates ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple requests on a daily basis.
• Ability to work and make sound judgments that best serves the department’s needs.
• Demonstrates appropriate verbal and written communication skills to perform the job functions and tasks.
• Ability to perform mathematical and written tasks as necessary to perform job tasks.
• Ability to lift 5 to 10 pounds.
• Perform other related duties as requested.
• Bachelor degree in biology sciences or plant sciences.
• Minimum of 6 months greenhouse experience or in a similar role, preferable.
• Demonstrated general knowledge of the basic principles of horticulture.
• Work experience and demonstrated skill in the operation of basic equipment common to tissue culture and genetics research laboratory.
• Ability to keep exact and detailed records and the ability to operate a laptop computer and standard word-processing and spreadsheet software.
• Knowledge of standard greenhouse practices.
• Experience with vegetative propagated crop plants.
• Knowledge of genetics and plant breeding.
• Relevant tissue culture experience.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) desirable.
• Ability to work flexible hours.
• Ability to work well with others and communicate appropriately.
• Ability to perform job duties with a minimum of direction.
• Ability to work as a team member.
• Work safely and promote safety within the department and the Facility.
• Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately.
• Ability to work within a profit plan or Capital estimates.
• Ability to communicate changes within an appropriate period.
• Ability to prioritize work and delegate as necessary to meet business objectives.
Dümmen Orange has great global ambitions. Innovation, technology and quality are high priorities. This results in a challenging working environment in which you can develop yourself. Dümmen Orange offers plenty of room for personal growth and development to its employees. We have an informal and easily accessible working environment in which cooperation is very important.
Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of flowers and plants. Its annual turnover is about 350 million euro. The company employs over 7,300 employees worldwide. In addition to a large marketing and sales network, Dümmen Orange has a diversified network of specialized production sites. The key to Dümmen Orange’s success is a broad and deep product range, supported by a global supply chain. The company embraces its social responsibilities and invests in the health, safety and personal development of its staff.
Click on the button below to apply for this job.
Acquisition with reference to this advertisement will not be appreciated.