Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of cut flowers, bulbs, tropical plants, pot plants, bedding plants and perennials. For our Encinitas, CA Farm we are looking for an Administrative & Human Resources Assistant.
Our organization grows and flourishes. This results in a fast-changing and, therefore, challenging environment.
As Administrative & Human Resources Assistant you will provide HR administrative and clerical support for the location. This position reports to the Human Resources Manager for North America and assists the California-based Farm Manager. The incumbent is responsible for performing assigned human resources and administrative tasks including but not limited to: drafting on- and off-boarding documentation and personnel action notices; coordinating interviews, trainings, meetings and travel; obtaining supplies, maintaining office organization and working with highly sensitive and confidential information.
Your tasks and responsibilities
The California-based Administrative & Human Resources Assistant under the direction of the Human Resources Manager for North America performs Human Resources support duties that vary during the calendar year and include but are not limited to:
- On demand recruitment and candidate vetting; complete the entire onboarding for the new hires including review of job description and safety training
- Ensure upon hiring new employee is presented with up to date policies (safety, sexual harassment, dress code, code of ethics, whistleblower policy, etc)
- Scheduling and conducting position-specific new hire training for harvesters and general labor
- Track staff completion of assigned, position-specific compliance training; schedule renewal compliance training
- Preparing, collecting and review of new hire enrollment documentation for benefits-eligible employees
- Prepare and conduct monthly safety meetings with the entire staff
- Ensure that temporary/seasonal workers are NOT scheduled and NOT perform more than 1500 hours of work in the 12 month period
- Conducting and assisting employees with the yearly enrollment for health benefits
- Draft and update job descriptions when necessary
- Schedule the California team’s twice a year performance review and goal setting meetings
- Draft staffing change forms (status adjustment, rate changes, benefits applications, termination, out-processing) and submit required paperwork to HR and Payroll in Ohio for timely processing.
- Answer staff questions about benefits – such as health, 401K, PTO and other leave categories; help with the enrollment process
- Track the referral bonus program for California employees.
- Attend and complete company-assigned, position-specific training to ensure compliance in the performance of the assigned human resources coordination duties and facilitate compliant work sites in the State of California.
- Translate into Spanish from English (work-related documents such as employee handbook, and emergency response plan, etc).
- Draft paperwork for staff termination and assigned off-boarding duties and responsibilities
- Scout and follow up on safety action items – remind staff to :
- Identify and address slip, trip and other hazards immediately each day.
- Have position-specific safety gear and training for the work assigned
- Complete early morning warm-up exercises
- Immediately report worker injuries, offer first aid on site and medical treatment at nearby health center – draft all corresponding workers compensation, OSHA and related documentation, procedures and requirements.
- Address employee questions and needs
- Regularly review and update compliance posters
- Promote our wellness program.
Administrative duties include but not limited:
- Maintaining department records, manuals, contact lists, training records, to make sure we are up to date and compliant with local regulations and requirements etc
- Preparing and submitting expense reports
- Prioritizes and manages multiple projects simultaneously
- Assisting team members with purchasing necessary items, work with vendors to obtain best prices
- Assisting team members with office duties: data entry, verification of orders, preparation of documents, inventory tracking, printing labels, etc
- Sorts and distributes the mail and coordinates responses to specific items for managing team
- Answers phones and routes messages, fielding routine and non-routine general and industry questions
- Maintains and manages office supplies inventory
- Works independently and/or as the project manager for special department projects to include planning, presentations, and coordinating information.
- Schedules and coordinates meetings, conference calls, catering and travel for visitors, directors, and managers
- Serves as a liaison with outside agencies in fielding general questions and coordinating correspondence and meetings with such agencies
- Coordinates materials for meetings and training sessions.
- Perform work-related errands as assigned
- Minimum of 2+ years’ experience in office environment and relevant experience in human resources administrative support in the State of California
- Bi-lingual communication – both written and spoken – in English and Spanish is required.
- Computer Proficiency, strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite
- Results-orientated, organized, able to prioritize tasks
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Extremely responsible, reliable, punctual and self-motivated
- Flexible, able to quickly adapt to current situation and assist the team members
- Sensitivity to confidential matters required
- Associates Degree in Human Resources, business administration or equivalent field of study preferred but not required
- HR certification for the State of California or California Certificates for HR responsibilities preferred such as:
- California Manager Sexual Harassment Certificate
- OSHA 8 hour Certificate
- Basic first aid training
- Must be able to function within agricultural environment with regards to dust, noise, odors
- May require an adjusted work schedule during peak season
- May need to perform lifting (up to 30lb), bending, standing, excessive walking
- May need to wear Personal Protective Equipment when necessary
- Good driving record/valid driver’s license when job duties require driving or the use of personal vehicle
Dümmen Orange has great global ambitions. Innovation, technology and quality are high priorities. This results in a challenging working environment in which you can develop yourself. Dümmen Orange offers plenty of room for personal growth and development to its employees. We have an informal and easily accessible working environment in which cooperation is very important.
Dümmen Orange is the world’s largest breeder and propagator of flowers and plants. Its annual turnover is about 350 million euro. The company employs over 7,300 employees worldwide. In addition to a large marketing and sales network, Dümmen Orange has a diversified network of specialized production sites. The key to Dümmen Orange’s success is a broad and deep product range, supported by a global supply chain. The company embraces its social responsibilities and invests in the health, safety and personal development of its staff.
Acquisition with reference to this advertisement will not be appreciated.