A groundbreaking rooting technology
Dümmen Orange is constantly striving to drive innovation that brings improvements for growers around the globe. Basewell™ is the next step into the future of floriculture. The innovative Basewell™ technology utilizes an off-shore propagation process to deliver high quality bare-root cuttings directly to the grower.
Basewell™ bare-root cuttings feature advanced root development and no growing media. This allows to ship Basewell™ products to growers from off-shore production locations, ready to transplant directly into the finish container.
Basewell updates: Fall 2018
- Ball Horticultural Company will begin evaluations on Basewell technology at their production facilities this fall.
- Basewell Annual program now open for booking. Orders commence shipping week 40, 2018.
Basewell™ technology delivers multiple benefits for the grower:
- Simplifies processes: The bare-root cutting form allows the grower to order rooted product directly from the production farm, decreasing order lead time and maximizing flexibility in program planning.
- Optimizes space: The grower receives a product that is ready to transplant directly into the finish container. Consequently, more production turns can be completed and expensive propagation space can be converted into profit-generating finish production space.
- Saves labor: Basewell™ technology is available in two configurations, including full strips and individual cells that are compatible with automated sticking methods. The individual cells are also suitable for non-automated production, where workers can quickly transplant the product by hand into the finish container.
Basewell™ technology has been trialed on various annual and perennial crops across North America to evaluate performance against unrooted and rooted cuttings. Results show that Basewell™ bare-root cuttings finish in equal or less time than an equivalent rooted cutting.